Testing, Testing, and More Testing!

After finalizing our assembly for this batch of Pumani units, I have been in charge of testing the pressure and oxygen qualifications for the units 3SD has on hand. The initial pressure qualifications are run through a Labview test fixture created by 3SD. Thus far, my exposure to Labview has been limited to my experiences last summer doing research and my recent electrical engineering course. I’m glad to be able to look through the coding and understand the logic and theory behind the test bench that we are using. The recording process for testing pressure may seem simple, but the system is actually quite efficient and thoughtful. The Labview bench automatically records every point (60,000!) over the course of a minute to a table, where the template analyzes the values and determines whether or not the unit “passes” according to our preset standards.

For each unit, I ran the test 10 times to ensure accuracy in our results. All of the units passed with negligible deviation between tests. The pressure values we were looking for are well within range, as well as the peak pressure values. I compiled the results into a single spreadsheet for our records and future units. I find it really exciting to be able to work these units myself and see firsthand how well they perform quantitatively. It is definitely extremely satisfying to see that the modifications we made are working well and improving the units as they should. These rounds of tests are also completed for each and every unit to be manufactured at Pride.