Pumani Completion

Last week was my final week working at Third Stone Design. I really cannot believe it’s already over. It feels like I was just learning about the bCPAP a few days ago… What’s even more unbelievable is the amount of work I was able to be involved in and the invaluable experiences I gained from just 8 weeks.

Perhaps the most defining feat of my summer experience was the completion of manufacturing for the 50 Pumani units. It’s a little strange to admit, but it was actually slightly emotional to finally ship out those last 18 units this Thursday. I’ve grown to really appreciate the thought and brilliance of this device, and I’m so sure that its success will continue to grow. I wish I could have also spent some time in Malawi to really see these in action! I’ve never felt the sense of accomplishment that I felt that day; I’m so lucky to be involved in a project that is producing a tangible rather than theoretical impact right this moment.

On a related note, I finalized my attachment design and had these clips prototyped at another location! We received the pieces on Friday, and Robert will be bringing my designed clips with him to Malawi next week to receive some feedback from the physicians and practitioners there. In addition to the obvious excitement, I’m also a little anxious! Though I’m quite happy with the work, I also feel that, like any design, it has room for improvement. Since I have not gotten to witness the bCPAP implementation in the field, I’m a little nervous that there are many considerations that perhaps my design had left out! I tried to take into account all the factors I could think of: safety, cleanliness, ease of manufacturing, ease of use (ie. not pushing toward the baby) and so on. That being said, I can’t wait to hear the feedback and really hope that there is some potential for development and growth.