Week 1: The Start of a Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity

As the internship officially kicks off, I am filled with excitement and trepidation all at once. The stakes feel even more heightened because we are navigating uncharted territory with a *virtual* global health internship. Prior to the start of the internship, I immersed myself in learning about the context of COVID-19 in Malawi, the principles and history of the Rice 360° Institute, and various global health challenges. I was also able to explore some ethical issues that can arise when conducting cross-cultural work, diving into concepts such as cultural humility and responsiveness. I am a huge fan of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, so it was great to hear from her on the “danger of a single story”—this video points to the need for more nuance in how we discuss people and communities and frame the issues they may face. Growing up, especially as a person of African descent, I was hyperaware of only one story of Africa—that of despair and poverty. However, I know that the true stor(ies) of Africa include hope, entrepreneurship, innovation, and unbridled potential.

On the first day of the internship, after some long anticipation, our teams were finally revealed. I am in Team “Infection Prevention” with interns Krystal, Kaitlyn, Mwayi, and Brenald, along with our TA’s Ben, Aubrey, and Chisomo. It is wonderful to see such a diverse group of people—from different countries, backgrounds, academic interests, and experiences—come together for the same mission. I can honestly say that this is genuinely a once in a lifetime opportunity–we will truly be able to explore the depths of human ingenuity and creativity this summer as we stay connected across time zones and continents.

A few of the interns taking part in the Rice 360 program from California, Florida (hello!!), Blantyre, and Phalombe—as an intern cohort, we are spread out over 4 time zones and across 2 countries.

Throughout the rest of the week, we dove headfirst into learning about our assigned technologies. After conducting some preliminary research and looking through some photos from the design studio, we were able to gain a more in-depth description of the devices and potential areas of focus from the studio managers, Hillary and Will, who provided valuable expertise:

The first of our devices is a disinfection unit (right). The idea for this is to provide a walk-through device that sprays disinfectant on users as they pass by in public spaces that experience high levels of human traffic, such as markets. This is meant to disinfect areas of the body that are not traditionally reached via normal hand washing.

The second of our devices is a hands-free sanitation station (left). The idea for this is to increase touch-free disinfection practices in high-volume public areas and hospitals.

Later in the week, we attended a workshop prepared by two of our wonderful TAs, Alex and Nimisha, on human-centered design. This was an interesting concept that really grounds how the work we do is not focused on abstract devices, but the people and communities who will use these devices. On Friday, a few members of the Rice 360° Tech Team visited to present on the innovative devices they are working on and provide us with their insights. Christina, who is working on the “Kasupe Syringe Pump” as a Global Health Fellow, joined our team in the break-out room to provide us with feedback on both our device prototypes and our presentation. She brought up so many great points that we noted and hope to further explore.

As the first week of the internship officially wraps up, I have been reflecting on what I hope to get out of my experiences this summer. I have outlined a few goals below:

• Immerse myself in a different culture and establish meaningful connections: Given the virtual setting of the internship, this might be difficult, but I am fully committed to getting to know everyone on my team, the backgrounds and experiences that shape them, and gain a greater understanding of cultural contexts in global health research.
  • Become more confident in my own abilities: As a non-engineer, it can often feel like I do not have the sufficient technical knowledge or skills to meaningfully contribute to a design team—but I am hoping to challenge this notion, dive headfirst into the engineering design process, and bring my own perspective to the team.
  • Be comfortable with uncertainty: Even ordinarily, working on a global health challenge will  present unforeseen challenges. I am excited to frame these challenges as opportunities for exploration, innovation, and solutions.

Witnessing the emergence of COVID-19 pandemic and its ensuing devastating health, social, and economic consequences has affirmed my commitment to public and global health. I am even more grateful to the Rice 360˚ team, our partnership with Malawi Polytechnic Institute and Malawi University of Science and Technology, all of the donors who made this possible, and all of the hard work and dedication that went into making this program what it is. I am thrilled to be able to participate in such a cross-cultural, meaningful, and innovative project. Thank you! I am so excited to go through this journey and share my experiences with you.

Until next time,

Sana