Week 6: Where to Next?

Content warning: My project deals with pediatric sexual abuse. Please take care of yourself and feel free to forgo reading any parts of this blog.

Our final Monday of the internship was crunch time. We had our project showcase on Tuesday, so we had to pull together our final model and perfect our project pitch. After laser cutting our last acrylic base, we were able to finalize rotation pegs that fit perfectly in the model. We also successfully incorporated pigmentation to represent varied skin tones and glued our final labia and hymen sets to the caps. By the end of the day Monday, our model was complete and ready to present at the showcase on Tuesday. 

Our final PIPER prototype that we presented at showcase and will send to our client for user testing in August!

Tuesday was a big day, as we were able to share our work with a broader audience. After traveling the long (and hot) journey to the BRC, we enjoyed a yummy lunch of Local Foods. Then it was go time- project pitch and showcase. The event went smoothly! It was wonderful to share our work in a large auditorium without masks- just like the old days! We received lots of praise and numerous valuable suggestions for future iterations on PIPER. All in all, it was a wonderful afternoon of sharing our team’s work with the larger community and supporting the work of our colleagues.

Team PIPER prepared to present our project pitch at the showcase!

At this point in the week, I still felt as though the magnitude of what we’ve accomplished hadn’t truly sunk in for me. That moment came Tuesday night. I called home to talk to my family, and inquired about my sister’s recent check-up. She mentioned that her doctor had asked how I was doing, and our mom explained a bit about my work this summer. Dr. DeSalvo had surprisingly already heard of team PIPER and the work we’ve been doing! His friend is a friend of one of the gynecologists we had contacted- what a small world! For me, it was satisfying to hear how our work was being talked about in the medical community. I was able to share this story with my team on Wednesday, and it amazed them as well. 

So what is next for PIPER? We have decided to send our current prototype to Ms. Harris, so she can gather user feedback on the model during a training in early August. After our final presentation on Thursday, Dr. Taylor also informed us of the possibility of getting Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval for PIPER user testing. IRB approval would protect any data collected at the training in August for publication. As a team, along with our client and internship leadership team, we have decided to try and pursue IRB approval in the hopes of publishing our work in the future. While we are on a time crunch, we are hopeful that this work can be published in an engineering journal at some point in the future.

As far as further iterations and improvements to the PIPER model go, the project will continue on in some form in the future. Many of my teammates are interested in continuing work on the project. Personally, I have really enjoyed this project and its potential for impact, despite the heavy subject matter. It’s amazing for me to think I contributed to creating the first ever pediatric pelvic model. As a result, I would like to continue working on this project in the coming year(s), and I am currently looking into what that looks like logistically. 

As the internship wrapped up, I found myself getting very sentimental. One of the reasons for this is because of the close bonds I have developed with all the other interns. Through social events, group lunches, and OEDK shenanigans, we have truly become a family. Each and every one of them brings such a unique perspective and talents, and it has been a joy to get to know and learn from them throughout this program. In particular, team PIPER will always hold a special place in my heart. Elise, Shivani, Alex, and I are like siblings at this point- we have countless inside jokes, the sweetest memories, and so much trust and love for one another. I am beyond grateful that this program brought me these wonderful teammates, and more importantly, these wonderful friends. 

Left: Intern selfie walking out of the OEDK on our last day! Right: Team PIPER after our final presentation! So much love for these three 🙂

Personally, this experience has truly been one of the highlights of my year. I have learned so much about engineering, teamwork, communication, and myself. I have uncovered my passion for global health and bioengineering, and I am strongly considering adding the global health technologies minor as a result of this program. In her closing remarks, Dr. Taylor encouraged us to challenge the assumption that “it’s just the way the world is,” and really do something to change the disparities we notice in the world around us. There are so many inequities when it comes to global health, but I now feel empowered to play my part in changing this. I am hopeful that myself and my colleagues will go out into the world and do amazing things, and I am forever grateful for this internship that has equipped us to do so. 

Thank y’all so much for reading my blogs throughout this journey. They have been a wonderful way for me to express myself and document this experience! 

See y’all soon,

Shannon