Websites, Conversions, and Lasers

This past week has provided an excellent example of the scope of work I’ve had the chance to do at 3rd Stone. I do a lot of different things, from computer work to meetings to hands-on tasks, and this week was a mixture of it all.

One task I’ve been working on lately is to revamp the DoseRight website. DoseRight Syringe Clips are small plastic clips that slide into oral syringes and guide the user to deliver an accurate dose of medicine.1 They originated as a BTB project in 2010 and have since been worked on at 3SD, similar to the Pumani. They have made a huge impact in Swaziland and are currently on the market. I’ve been updating the website to include more information about the clips, the need they address, and the impact they’ve had thus far. The website isn’t quite ready yet, so it’s not live, but once it’s ready, I’ll post a link! Coming into this internship, I had no experience with web design. None. Nor did I really expect to work on a website. However, I found that the tools available for website design (specifically WordPress) are fairly intuitive. I’m still learning as I go, but I’m glad that I’ve gotten experience with web design, as it is becoming an increasingly popular medium.

I also had the chance to work with my hands this week and dig through the Pumani CPAPs. All of the manufactured Pumani devices are 220V and compatible with the Malawian power grid. However, they are difficult to use in the US because they require several heavy devices to transform the voltage. It is useful to have devices that are compatible with the US power requirements for demonstrations and for testing. For this reason, I converted 3 Pumani CPAPs from 220V to 110V. This was another learn-as-I-go sort of experience. It wasn’t too complicated, but I did have to change out the pumps and modify new US aquarium pumps. It involved a lot of unscrewing and screwing, in addition to some drilling, sawing, and wire stripping.

Brand new 110V Pumani's! (They look exactly the same as the 220V ones...)

Converting these devices has had unintended benefits, as well. As I take apart and repair the devices, I can better understand what it’s like for technicians in the field to repair the devices. If there are steps that are difficult, confusing, or require special tools, I can make note of that, and we can consider changing that aspect to make it easier in the future. I’m learning that a big part of our job at 3SD is to make the jobs of those in Malawi easier. That can (hopefully) be accomplished through clear user manuals, optimized Pumani devices, and a lot of communication. Jocelyn spent several years in Malawi, so it’s very helpful to hear her input about conditions in the hospitals, and what things are most helpful to those working overseas.

On another note, recently, 3SD got a brand new laser cutter. Everyone has been trying it out lately to help with various projects. Robert asked Jackie and I to make stands for everyone’s computer towers. This task is a small side project, for fun and also so that I can familiarize myself with the machine. We’ve gone through several different versions, and right now we’re picking out the material for the final design. It’s incredible how easily and accurately the machine cuts and the range of things that it can make. Laser cut items are really becoming popular. We even saw some laser cut postcards for sale this weekend in a gift shop.

Engineering in everyday life--laser cut postcards at Muir Woods.

This weekend was another scenic adventure around the Marin area. We visited Muir Woods, a national monument filled with redwood trees. Redwoods are some of the biggest in the world; they grow up to 378 feet! We also explored Stinson beach, Sausalito, and the Marin headlands, which boasts absolutely stunning views of the bridge and all of San Francisco.

Redwoods at Muir Woods. Way too tall to fit in one picture.
Stinson beach from above.
The Golden Gate Bridge from Marin Headlands. Pictures don't do it justice.

Relevant links:

1. http://www.3rdstonedesign.com/project/doseright-dosing-clip/