GOODBYE OEDK………BUT NOT FOREVER!

We had our final presentations on Wednesday afternoon, marking the end of project prototyping this summer. It was an awesome experience. All teams were well set and ready for the presentations. Final devices were brought along for show to the audience. Demonstrations on the operation of the devices caught much of the attendees’ attention. At the end of boot camp, second week of summer, the OEDK stuff mandated the interns to “Go and Make Something Awesome!”, indeed, four awesome devices have been made this summer.

My team spent much of this week preparing for the final presentations.

We however, failed to meet the goal of our test plan. My team initially planned to test three working prototypes concurrently in order for us to derive a comprehensive analysis that all devices (the 100 to be manufactured) would work exactly the same way. We did not manage because three of the circuit boards we had did not work pretty well before we could go into testing them.

We plan to continue working on the the project after summer so that we can finally have it work in Malawi.

We have two of the prototypes taken to Malawi to be tested at Queen Elizabeth Central hospital when competed.

It is had to believe the six weeks of summer have finished. It feels like it has been a week. All this because of the great time i have had. The exposure to engineering design is one i never wanted to get out of. One thing is for sure, I will go back home and share what i have learnt here with my fellow students back home.

Many thanks to Rice 360, the Malawi Polytechnic, mentors and all sponsors for the fantastic program ever initiated.

Rice 360 SEED must continue! It is bridging the knowledge gap across participating countries and exposes interns to a cross-cultural learning-working environment.

God bless the founders and all stakeholders………

I will miss this team……

I leave Rice not the same person. SEED has transformed me in all angles of my life and am ready to preach this to others. And will be happy to see many more students experience the greatness of the OEDK.